|McKean County Planning Commission
17137 Route 6
Smethport, PA 16749
The McKean County Planning Commission is a nine member body appointed by the Board of County Commissioners. Created in May of 1962, the County Planning Commission was given the key responsibility of providing for the orderly growth and development of McKean County.
Members must be residents of McKean County. Each member serves a four-year term. Members are not paid. Appointments are made with the intention of having representatives from all the various areas of the county.
The function of the Planning Commission is to develop and carry out a planning program within the policies determined by the County Commissioners. The members serve to contribute their knowledge of the issues and needs of their area of the county, as well as of the county as a whole.
The responsibilities and performance of the Planning Commission are dictated by the Pennsylvania Municipalities Code Act 247, 1968 and amendments. State law mandates some of the functions of the Planning Commission. These involve the preparation of the comprehensive plan and maintaining records of its actions. Upon the request of the governing body, the Planning Commission can also make recommendations on the adoption of an official map; prepare and present to the governing body a zoning ordinance, a subdivision and land development ordinance, and review proposed amendments to each; review and make recommendations on specific development projects; hold public hearings and meetings; and present testimony before the Board. The Board of County Commissioners has assigned the Planning Commission a number of additional duties.
The County Planning Commission, with the assistance of two full-time staff persons (the Director and Assistant Director), carries out a program of activities in many major categories which include:
- Administration of the McKean County Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance
- Economic Development
- Staff training and new programs
- Distribution of information and data coordination
- Map collection, maintenance and distribution, including keeping in stock a wide range of maps of the county and surrounding areas
- Floodplain and Zoning Determinations
- Special programs (active participation in the Lumber Heritage Region of PA and the PA Wilds Planning Team projects)
- Preparing and publishing a County Profile containing spatial, demographic, land use, and transportation data
- Preparing a prioritized list of highway/bridge projects for the PennDOT 12-Year Program and for other special transportation programs
- Providing professional planning assistance to local planning commissions, local governments and citizens
- Preparing county-wide planning studies including the comprehensive, land use, housing, economic, sewer and water, solid waste, storm water, and other plans
- Providing training programs for local elected and appointed officials
- Coordinating with other county and regional agencies
- Preparing evaluations on proposed and pending legislation
A vast array of information is available in the County Planning Commission Office. This information is all available for inspection. Many reports and publications are free of charge, while others are available for purchase.
Although the Planning Office no longer has the capability of reproducing copies of maps, we still offer an extensive selection of topographic maps as well as Allegheny National Forest maps; raised relief maps; Bradford Meter maps; and County Highway maps which are available for purchase.
The Commission is charged with promoting sound land use practices and viable economic development. It reviews, proposes, and analyzes courses of action needed to maintain a healthy and safe, yet vibrant county.
Your participation in matters being discussed by the County Planning Commission is welcomed. County Planning Commission meetings are held in the Conference Room at the E 9-11 Center located on Route 6. Meetings are held the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 PM. Meetings are advertised and are open to the public. Copies of Agendas for meetings may be obtained by contacting the Planning Office @ 887-2348. Should you need time to make a presentation at a meeting, please contact the Commission staff prior to a meeting date so that you may be placed on the agenda. Please feel free to visit the Office of the County Planning Commission at our new address: 17137 Route 6; Smethport, PA. Office hours are 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM Monday through Friday.